Business Rates and Council Tax
Many commercial property owners and occupiers automatically absorb the costs incurred
by Business Rates, which is one of the larger financial overheads for any company.
Worse still, if premises are empty these costs can be an enormous drain on finances.
Recent surveys found that the Government’s empty rates policy has had a detrimental
affect on speculative building projects, regeneration of town centres, and is generally
seen as a major barrier to significant economic growth. It therefore makes sense
to ensure that any business pays the minimum legal amount possible.
Examples of issues that can affect rateable values or rates liability include:
- Change of property layout or use
- Size alterations - extensions/demolitions/mezzanine additions
- Transitional Relief calculations
- Empty Property Relief/Small Business Rate Relief/Part Occupation Relief
- Disability Exemptions
- Valuation Notices
John Baron of AJP Surveyors has a proven track record in securing rate reductions
and has extensive experience gained from having spent 5 years in the Valuation Office
dealing with Rating and Council Tax appeals, then subsequently 10 years minimising
the Business Rate liability of Lancashire County Council, securing reductions on
industrial, retail and office premises as well as more specialist fields such as
Fire Stations and Community Centres.
Our Business Rates services can be tailored to fit your specific requirements and
- Submission and negotiation of rateable value appeals
- Representation at Local Valuation Tribunals and Lands Tribunals
- Rent return completion
- General advice
- Budget forecasting & financial information
Check your Business Rate assessment here.
Check your Council Tax band here
For further advice and information please contact John on 07950 976654 or email